Childhood Memories 88 Years Ago (1967)

By Jessie E. Deatrick

History of York Springs given to Ester Beitman Keefer and written by Jessie Deatrick in 1967. Mrs. Deatrick passed away May 16, 1971 at age 92 yrs.

     I am writing the story about (Petersburg) now called York Springs, because there are so many springs there. I knew one place there were five springs. It is also about the houses that the people lived in that I knew.

     I will start at the upper end of town at the Mr. Sam Shelly home. It was a brick house. Mr Shelly was married and had a couple of girls and a boy named Jerry. He and my Father were boys together. Mr. Shelly was a farmer and among the crops he raised was tobacco. He was a sporty old man and a good Methodist. On Sunday morning he would came down to Sunday School dressed in a buff colored bread cloth suit and a top hat to match and the next Sunday in a black suit and top hat. We had a yellow rose bush at the side of our house that bloomed early and he would step and get a rosebud for in the lapel of his coat. Then I would walk along with him down to Sunday School.

     There was a big shed on the one side of his house. I asked my Father what it was for and he said to hang the tobacco up to dry before selling it. He, I guess, just got tired of things and went across the road to his apple orchard and hung himself to a tree on Sunday morning.

     His son, Jerry, married and had two daughters. We went to school together. One built her home on the upper end of her Grandfather's home. Her name is Sue Townsend and she has one son who lives in his great, great, Grandfather's house. The other Granddaughter whose name is Florence Bennett built her house on the other side of her Grandfather's house and still lives there.

     She has her sister with her as she has no children. Mr. Jerry Shelly was a good speaker and very good at debating. They would have debates down in the town hall and he always took part. He had two spotted horses that he would hitch to a sled and take his wife and the girls to some schoolhouse where they were having a debate or spelling match. They would take me along and we would have such a nice time. He and my Father were always good friends as long as they lived. He came to our house a lot and they would talk about when they were boys.

     Now we shall go up the Idaville Road to a long white house which belonged to the Shelly's. They rented it to different people, however, the only people that lived there that I knew was a Mrs. Rickrede, a widow with some Children. Later on the house was torn down. The next place was old Peggy Grimes's place. It was an old log house. I always was afraid of her. She always wore a red handkerchief an her head, was so wrinkled, and had such little eyes. She always smoked a corn cob pipe. She had two grown boys and a girl. The one son worked in the lime quarry, the other was crippled, walking with two canes. Ho had a shoemaker's shop in the corner of the yard which is still standing. He made shoes and boots for a good many people.

     The shoes did not have any shape being straight with a seam up the back and one on each side and leather laces. My brother and I would go along with our Father to get our shoes made and he would measure our feet and then cut them out. He put the leather that was for the soles in water to soak and it would get soft to put the pegs through. He would take a long linen thread and wax it with beeswax so that he could sew up the sides and the back. Then he would make the holes in the soles first with his awl so the pegs would fit in them.

     He would hammer them down and put a little heel on. When finished he would file and smooth them all off after which we would take them home and put shoe polish on them. He always held the pegs in his mouth when working.

     The farmers would gather there on rainy and snowy days to talk and play checkers. There was a big stove that was always hot and a box of sawdust beside it for them to spit their tobacco juice in. There were benches around the wall to sit on. I used to like to go along with my Father when he went up there. I liked to listen to them talk and watch him peg the shoes. He was a great man to laugh and he was so fat. Sometimes his Mother came in to talk to the men. Her daughter went to Harrisburg and got married,

     (Harry O. Miller and his sister live there now. They tore the log house down and built a new one.)

     Now I shall take you down the road. There is only one house there. John Good lived there until they moved away and then a Mr. "Hen" Meals bought it and now his step-son, Clarence Cline, lives there.

     Now we shall come down and turn the corner and there stands a white house that one had to go up so many steps to get to the door. Ann Morrison lived there. She was married to Bill Lory who was blamed for robbing the Post Office. He got away before they got him and he never came back and no one ever heard anything more about him. His wife went to Harrisburg to her Mother. Later the house was torn down.

     The next house belonged to Mr. Geo. Peters and his wife Sally. They had no children, but raised Ellen Frazier.

     The little white house also belonged to them. Lloyd Lory owns it and lives there now.

     The next is a big barn that belongs to the place. The next is a vacant lot, then a driveway, then a big brick house. A family by the name of Littles lived there. I did not know any thing about them only what my parents told me. The people I knew were Mr. Abe Trostle. He was married three times and had four girls and two boys. When his wife died his girls would keep house for him until he would marry again. The seeond time he married a widow with one daughter who was from Washington. He was very mean to the daughter who was a cripple. His third wife was a match for him. She was a widow with one daughter. After he died, she and her daughter went to Shippensburg and worked in the schools there. He was an awful man to drink and so stingy. He was very hard on anyone that owed him money. He said no one would cheat him. He would sell their things to get his money and he did. I know of one family he did that to and when the sale was, some of the neighbors bought some of their things and gave them bank to them. He used to come to our house and tell what he would do to anyone who owed him anything. (He was so drunk and had the gout so in his big toe that he went to the chopping block took the axe and cut it off.)

     The Lutheran Church had a choir and some one played a violin in it. They had to take it out or he would not pay any money. He did not want anyone playing a fiddle in the church, he said. He drove a little white pony. His granddaughter was Mrs. Charlie Menges who lived there a long time. The house is now owned by the Hinkles. Mr. Trostle had no teeth so when he wanted to get married one time he went down to Hampton to Dr. White and wanted to borrow a set until he got married then he would bring them back, but the Dr. told him he did not have any, but the man across the street had a couple sets and maybe he could get one from him. The Dr. told me this himself.

     Well the next is a big field and next to that is the William Moorhead place. A brick house. He was married and had two girls. Emily and Eliza, who married a Methodist Minister and lived in the West. Mr. Moorhead was a blacksmith whose shop was across the street. They owned a lot of land around there and kept some cows and horses. He could make so many things out of iron. They about raised my Father as his Father had died so Mr. Moorhead looked after him and told him how to do things.

     When the Civil War was and the soldiers came through Mr. Moorhead and my Father took the horses to the woods and kept them there until they had all gone. The soldiers would take anything they could get.

     After he died, Miss Emily still lived there. She never married. She had expected to marry Sam Shelly, but he did not want her Mother to live with them. He wanted her to put her Mother down in the little white house and she would not do that. He would come down driving his two black horses and take her driving. They would go to Gettysburg, have dinner, and then come home. My Father told me of this as he was around so much. Emily's Mother died after which she lived there all alone. She kept cows, chickens and hogs. I always want up every Friday evening after school and helped her feed them. She had a cat she called "Imp". It was what is called a "Calico Cat". Than we would have supper and I had to wash the dishes. There was a big bull frog who lived in the Spring at the barn. He would come out and sit on the stones to sun himself. I liked to watch him.

     I would bring Miss Emily all the wild flowers and she would plant them all around and tell me what they were. Her garden was nothing, but flowers. People would walk up past just to see them. Sometimes the church people would have a festival on her lawn. Strawberries, Ice Cream and Cake were served. I remember my Mother baking a cake for them.

     After she died, the place was sold to Mr. Jake Lischey, after which a number of other people lived there. It is now owned by Mr. Potts, who lives there. He put the flower garden into a lawn and built a house on the corner for his daughter to live in.

     The next is a field followed by the little white house that belonged to Mr. Moorhead. The first persons that I knew to live there were Lewis and Polly Myers - such nice old people. They had two boys named Lewis and Pete. He would work for my Father, sometimes. He would come over to our house on Sunday to talk and borrow my Father's paper to read; then I would sit on his lap and comb his hair. After they died there were other people lived there.

     There was a family by the name of Blain. When they wanted chicken to eat they would put a grain of corn on a fishhook and throw it out where the chickens would grab it and they would pull the line in with the chicken on the end of it. I know one of the neighbors had a big rooster they were saving to have a big dinner, but they got it and had the chicken dinner.

     The last one that lived there, that I know of, was Claire Smith.

     Now we shall go across the alley to a little log house where the Dentzils lived.

     I did know them. The first one I knew was the Noel Family. They had two children, a boy and a girl, that were grown. The son went to Harrisburg while the daughter married Mart Kennedy. They had a daughter and then parted, she marrying Lee Myers. The Myers' bought the little white house across the alley and took the log house for a garage. Then it was torn down and a restaurant built there. I don't know who owns it or runs it.

     Lee and Sade Myers would sit out on the pavement on a summer evening and she would play the Accordion and he the Violin. It sounded so nice. They played all the old pieces.

     Then Claire Smith bought the place. Then next to the restaurant is a new house. I do not know who owns it.

     The next place was the Rhodes house which was a long house. They had a family - I do not know how many. Mrs. Rhodes worked for people. She was so hard of hearing. They moved to Philadelphia, but she would still come back to see the people. After the Rhodes, Pete Myers bought the place building a blacksmith shop at the side of the house. He married and had four boys and five girls. He always said he did not need a clock to tell him when it was meal time, that his belly done that. They ate so much potpie. They never washed the dishes unitl it was time to get the meal. He was so good to his old father and mother. He never left them want for anything. He moved up town and George, his son, took over and ran the shop.

     George married Maggie Shultz and had five children. After she died, he married Alice Yohe and they had three children. George lived there until he died. He had the old house torn down and built a new one. I think a man by the name of Yohe bought it and lives there.

     The next place is my home. (Mrs. Deatricks' home as a girl across from Elementary School up-town.) My grandfather built the house. He was a Mason by trade and built the house in the shape of diamonds at the one end. People, when they came driving up would stop and look at the house. I do not think you can see them so much now as my Father had a porch built all around and it hid it. There was a spring in the cellar. My Father was a twin - the other twin died in infancy - he had two sisters. My Father ran off to the Civil War. He was not old enough to go. He and some other boys walked to Harrisburg to enlist. They slept in a field in the corn shocks at night. His Mother would send some one after him to bring him home. He ran away three times and they would not take him, but the third time Col. Stewart got him in. He did not get to stay long as the War was soon over. He got married and had three children - two girls and a boy.

     He learned the Plastering Trade. Sometimes he would have other men to help him when he had a big Job - in addition, he also did farming. We had cows and horses. My Sister died when I was a baby so I don't remember her. My Brother learned the printing trade - working in Philadelphia and Atlantic City. He was a great ball player and did lots of it. He was a pitcher. I stayed at home and helped my Father and Mother. We had a big garden at the side of the house and raised a lot of things. Then my Father and I made it into a big lawn. We had a picket fence all around it and I used to have to white wash it. It had to be done just so, as my Father would come and look at it. If I missed any I would have to do it over. Everybody had those kind of fences. My Mother always had so many flowers, The place don't look like when we lived there. It looks different. My parents were so particular about everything. There was a spring at the one end of the yard. Now Mr. Emory Guise lives there.

     The next place is a little white house where Dan Donohue and family lived. They had four children. They were Irish and he worked in the lime quarries for George Trostle. Every now and then he would get drunk. Once he brought his clothes over and gave them to my Father. He said, "Frank, you can have them". Then he would go off some place until he would get sober again. After he was gone my Father would give the clothes back to the family. Once when he waa drunk, he fell off a cherry tree and broke his leg and then they had a time with him. He was a Catholic and the old priest would come to see them and always want money. It would make Mrs. Donohue angry, as they did not have the money to give him. She belonged to the Lutheran Church and the children went there to Sunday School. They went to Harrisburg; both the girls married well. Elsie, the one daughter, traveled around with her husband, who was a conductor on the railroad. They all got work in Harrisburg, as they were all good workers, The house has been torn down.

     The next place, I think, a Fickle family lived there. The first one I knew lived there was Prof. McCreary and family. He taught in the High School and his daughter taught the Primary School. They were good neighbors. Jean and I were kids together. We were not old enough to go to school. They left and went to Shippensburg where he was head of the Normal School; then there were different people living there until Mr. George Schaffer bought it. The Schaffers lived there until they died. I do not know who lives there now.

     The next place was the John Albert place. He built the house and then sold it to Becky and Addie Miller. They died and a family by the name of Fasick live there now.

     The next is an alley - then the Peter Sheets house. A little white house with a white picket fence all around it. They had three girls and two boys - all grown and married. Mr. Sheets moved with his son, Pete, up to the cemetery house. The house was a log house at the foot of the hill - not where the cemetery house is now.

     His son, Jerry, married and stayed on at the old home. They had two children - a boy and a girl. He worked for my Father when they did a Plastering Job. He carried the Hod and helped mix the mortar. He had made his daughter, Annie a doll cradle and I wanted one so much so one Christmas morning when we opened the kitchen door - there was a little cradle all wrapped up for me. We still have it; as it was so nice. He always said he liked cider when it made eyes at you. Mrs. Sheets did sewing for people.

     The next place was the Dr. Diller home. At the corner of the yard was a white house. My Father told me Nancy Funt lived in it, but I never saw her. The house was torn down later. The Diller home was a white house kind of long. It set back and had a yard in the front with a big Bell Pear tree and some flower bushes. The house had a little porch with two seats on it. I used to see Hypatia, the daughter, and her Cousin sitting on it. There were three boys and a girl. Mrs. Diller worked so hard, as she had to tend the Doctor's horse and clean the stables. She had such a big garden with all kinds of plants. She could tell you what everyone was good for. She looked like a regular rag bag and never clean - only when she went to church an Sunday. She wore such a funny little black hat and was nearly always late for church. She was a nice old lady and so kind. She had so much trouble. Hypatia never did much around the house as her Father did not want her to spoil her hands. She was always reading.

     The Doctor died a drunkard found sitting in his buggy along the road. His son, Ira, was a drunkard and was found in the butside toilet and was all black. The other son, Orphia, built the front on the house. Ira, who's a doctor, had his office at one side and Orphia had a grocery store on the other aide. Hypatia and her Mother lived in the back. The Mother went blind and she would sit in her rocking chair in a corner of the room and tell Hypatia how to do things. The girls liked to hear her tell about when she was a girl in Hanover.

     Now we come to the house of Mrs. Jane Stambaugh. She was a widow and had two girls. Her husband was run over by a wagon and died. Her girls lived in the country most of the time with their grandmother. Mrs. Stambaugh had a millinery store. She always had such pretty hats to sell. She did sewing for people - made dresses. Sometimes my Mother would allow me to go down to see her. She would be sewing or trimming hats and whistling or singing while she worked. She would take me along with her to church, as I was too small to go alone. She was so good where there were sick. At last she gave up her store and went to the country to take care of her Mother. If there was anyone around the country that was sick, they would send for her. She was always willing to help anyone. She was a good woman and a good neighbor. After she died, the place was sold to Bud Miller who lived there until he shot himself. I don't know who lives there now.

     The next place was the Adam Grove place. I don't know anything about the family - only my parents told me thought he was buried alive as steam was seen on the glass of the coffin lid. Then the place was rented to different people till Miss Emma Wierman and her Mother bought it and lived there until they died. I don't know who lives there now.

     The next is the Bales home. They had two girls - the one girl was so skinny and had such a little kind of odd look. Her name was Sally, but her Father called her ugly head. He was so cruel to her. I saw him hit her over the head till she almost fell down, but she married a nice young man by the name of Bill Shaffer, who was a sadler by trade. They moved to Harrisburg. I was in his shop there.

     The next is the school house. It had two rooms - one up and one down. The boys used to slide down the banisters. There was a little porch on the front of it; a picket fence around the front and a big board fence around the back so the ball would not go over in anyone's garden. It sometimes did when they were playing ball.

     Miss Matty Lischey was my first teacher.

     Mr. Andy Rhodes lived in the next house. He kept a little store. They had one daughter whose name was Emma. I think she is living somewhere in the country now. I have not seen her in a long time. They also raised another girl Maggie Hubert, who could always jump rope so fast; that is what we used to do at recess. Mr. Will Davis owns the place and lives there now. He is ninety some years old.

     The next is an alley and across from it Milt Adams and wife lived in a weatherboarded house. He had TB so bad. He could hardly eat anything so he would get some of the boys to shoot little sparrows for him. His wife would cook them and he would drink the broth. Mr. Gil Wolfe lived in this house later until his death and now it is owned and lived in by Aston Chorley.

     The next place is the Johnny Day place who had three children - two girls and a boy. Miss Atchly lived with them. She was their Aunt. Johnny had a buggy shop where he made buggies. They moved West and Miss Atchly stayed here. She had a cow and some cats. She was a walking rag bag. She took the cow out to eat grass along the road, had it covered with a sheet to keep the flies off, and held an umbrella over it to keep the sun off it. There she stood never saying a word to anyone, but would still talk to the cow. Then she died and the place was sold to Mr. Dave Starry and after they were gone their daughter Laura and her husband, Harry Miller, lived there. Now the place has been bought by Earl Rhodes and his wife who live there.

     The next place was a large butcher shop built along the run. A Mr. Keyholtz ran it. Finally it was torn down and now the Fire House is there. Along the pavement was a watering trough where the water always was running. The people driving by would water their horses; sometimes also their cattle. It was nice as you came along to dabble in the water.

     The next place is a new ranch house owned by a Mr. Parr. I do not know who lives in it.

     The next place is the Gallenton house. Mrs. Gallenton lived in part of the house with her son and daughter while her sister and her busband, Mr & Mrs. Jake Larue lived in the other part. They had a couple of cows and a horse. Mrs. Larue churned and put butter in prints in the shape of a pine tree. When some of the churches would have a supper in the town hall, she would give them a pint of butter. I would go and get it for them. When there was an Ice Cream Festival down at one of the churches, Mr. Larue would always treat Hope Dill and I to ice cream. He would call me his little girl and Mrs. Larue would give me flowers. Once he allowed me to drive his horse out to the country. They had such a big garden. Now there is a filling station there. Mr. Irvin Nell bought the home and the filling station. I do not know who owns the place or who lives there, as they are new people.

     Now we shall go up High Street. On one side is a feed mill and the rest is an orchard. On the other side, we shall start at the upper end. There was a long low house that belonged to the Stouffers. There were different people who lived there until it was burned town. Now Walter Trostle's built a nice home there.

     The next place is the Tom Zeigler place. They were both so tall. They had one son, John, who was a grown man. Now Ralph Golden owns it and has it all fixed up.

     The next place is the Charlie Myers home. He did not do much of anything as he did not like to work. If he got hold of some old lady that had money, like Betty Wolfe, he would help her to take care of it. They had four children. Their son, Mervin, lived with the Worley's until he died. After they passed on, Eliza Nell and her two boys lived there. She did work for people. After which Harvey Larue owned it. Now Walter Trostle's son lives there.

     The next is the Clate Myers house. People ask him when he got married which one of the Menges girls he married and he said the best looking one. They had four children; their daughter, Josie and I went to school together. He did butchering for people in the winter time. I know he did for us and he had such funny tools to work with. Then he moved to the country. When he became too old to farm, he moved back to town.

     The next is the Ben Myers home. He had a boy and a girl. He did farming for people for awhile then moved West. Charlie, Clate, and Ben Myers were all brothers. Mr. Howard Hershey moved into the Ben Myers place after the family had gone west. Mr Hershey ran a restaurant downtown where he made his own ice cream. He had a little engine to run the freezer. My Mother sold him milk and cream to make it. Nelson Guise and his Mother lived there and now his brother, Charlie, lives there.

     Next is a lot and then an alley. On the corner of High and Main Streets was a brick house where Mrs. Neely lived. She was so tight she would never give more than a penny to the church collection. The people would say "There goes Mary Neely and her penny." After her, a Mrs. Wolford lived there for a long time; then Harvey Neely, Mary Neely's grandson, bought the place. He was a printer and built an office on the corner of the yard. After he died, the office was fixed into a dwelling where his widow lived for a long time. Now Belle Neely lives there.

     Squire Markley's home is next. After they died, Mr. Emory Myers lived in one end of the house and Miss Mae Gardner lived in the other. Now the place belongs to Mrs. Edgar Smith. Her son lived there for awhile, however, I do not know who lives there now.

     The next is the alley, then the brick home where Frank Wagner and family lived. They had two girls that want to school when I did; Elmo Smith owns the house now and lived in it until he moved to the country, at which time, he rented to several different families. Mrs. Will Leer lives there now.

     The next house a low white dwelling where John T. Myers lived. He had three children - then Miss Harriet Canan and her sister lived there. Dr. Myers bought it on their death and had it torn down. He had a garage built there. The next house was the Methodist parsonage which was sold to Sam Beitman, who rebuilt it for his sister. After which, it was sold to Dr. Myers, who had his office there. Some time ago, it was sold to Maggie Dixon who lives there with her family.

     The Methodist Church is next, I went to Sunday School there. The Methodists built the Parsonage at the other side of the church which is now used for Sunday School rooms.

     The next is a brick house. It had a store room at the one side and Mr. Andy Rhodes moved from up town and kept store there. There was a big awning over the store door which was blown down by a big storm and never put back again. Later Harold Myers bought the place and kept store there for a long time; making it into an apartment. He died and his wife still lives there.

     The next is the Lutheran parsonage. A number of ministers have lived there. The first one I knew was Rev. Reese, but before him, Rev. Foulk was the minister. Rev. Foulk did not live at the parsonage, but with his Father and sisters in the country, as he was a bachelor.(The Foulk family were former owners of the place Atlee boupt known as Nelson Place.) He saw to the building of the new church. The last minister living there that I knew was Rev. Borner, who was my neighbor. They were a nice family.

     Next is the alley-then the Reed place. Mr Jakey Myers married the daughter. They had two boys. He built a house in the corner of the yard for his jewelry store. Now it is owned by Mr. Harvey Lerew, who lives in the brick house and has fixed the store into a house for living. Mrs. Zeigler lived there for a long time. I do not know who lives there now.

     The next is the Emmanuel Brough home. Mr. Brought was my husband's grandfather. Mr. Caleb Sheets lived there and had a blacksmith shop across the street.

     After that several other people lived there until it was sold to Wierman Neely, whose family sold it to Charlie Asper who lives there now. The little house in the yard was Squire Markley's office. It was known as the place where all the fights of the town were settled. It belongs to Charlie Asper. He rents it to other people.

     The next is the Boris Zeighler place. They had three girls. He kept the Post Office-which at that time was next door. It has since been made into a dwelling. Marie Miller lives there now and it is owned by Charlie Asper.

     The next place is the Sadler home. Wesley Sadler- his Mother and sister lived there. Wesley was a little hunch-backed man. He took care of the Methodist Church. There was a big balcony in the Church and he would have to go up there to ring the bell. He would count the strokes. If I got to Sunday School before he rang the last bell, I would go along with him - sit and watch him ring it. I do not know who owns the place now. They used to have the Telephone Exchange there and Mrs. Al Gardner lived in part of the house and ran the Exchange. It has since been put into Apartments.

     The next place was a big implement shed owned by the hardware store. It is now owned by Dr. Flickinger. Judge Trostle built the house and when he died Warren McKean bought it and his wife sold it to Dr. Flickinger.

     The Abe Grove house comes next. Mr Grove sold sewing machines from his store across the street-later he sold everything and moved up on the hill. Mr. George Trimmer bought it- at that time the house had a hardware store at the one end. I do not know who owns it now and it has been changed all around.

     The next was the Dr. Shaffer place. Mr. Anthony Deardorf bought it from Dr. Shaffer's family and lived there for many years. Then it was sold to Joel Griest and his widown lives there. The new Post Office is now on one corner of the property.

     The next is Willis Street. There is only one house on it which was owned by Capt Stewart. He rented it to different people among them Mr. Emory Myers. There was a butcher Shop on the end of the lot where Mr Park Myers did butchering.

     On the corner of Willis and Main street was the William fickel home. He was the father of Mrs. William Pearson and the grandfather of Misses Jean and Hazel Pearson. I would often see Mrs. Pearson on the Porch when I went down town. Later it was owned by Mr. Gil Emmert whose family sold it to Mrs. Mueller. The town Library was built on one corner of the yard.

     The next is the Dr. Stewart home. The family consisted of four girls and two boys. They were all such gig stout people. Now the house is an apartment owned by the Wagners.

     Then comes the alley and then the Harry Peters house. They lived in one end of the house and the other end was a canning factory. All the people sold their fruit to him to can. I know my Father took peaches there. His brother John made the cans for him to use for this work. There was a tin lid on the can and then aTong string of beeswax was put around the top to seal it. I saw my Mother seal cans of tomatoes the same way. Then the place was turned into a tailor shop which was run by an Irishman; after which Mr Howard Hershey bought it moving down from High Street. He had his restaurant there. Now Dick Weigle has a T. V. store there and lives in the house.

     There is a big run that is full of water sometimes which is covered over with boards. The house on the other side of this was that of William Pearson. They lived in one end and he had his printing office at the other end. It is now owned by Zula Hikes and her sister who rent it to different people.

     The next is the Ritzel place. There was a basement under the house where they had a restaurant. They had two grown children-Sam and Sally. Later they went to Harrisburg and the place was sold to Dr. Tudor who was a Dentist. The basement was filled up and not used any more. It was rented to various people-then sold to Harry Hardman and his wife. He had a Barber Shop there for many years. I do not know who owns it now.

     Then comes the Judge Beals home. They had tow girls-one being Mrs. Eva Meckley. It was a bouble house and Ruth Mockland and old Mrs. March lived in the other side of the house. I think some of the Johns' lived there at one time. Mrs. March always kept a cushion in her pew at the church. She did work for people as did Ruth Mock land who also did a lot of knitting of stockings for people. My Mother knit my Brother and 1 our stockings.

     The next place is the Ed. Criswell home. They had three children - two boys and a girl. Betha, now Mrs. W. R. Starry, lives there now. Mr. Criswell was a carpenter who helped to build the Lutheran Church. He, Mr. Eaf Winand and my Father did the plastering of the church. The next place was the Dr. Pearson home. They had three boys and a girl. William and Charles were printers and Harry had the Hardware store at one end of the building where his Father's office was. The daughter, Miss Mary Pearson lived her life in the family home. After her death, it was sold to a Ditzler who also sold it. There is still a hardware store there run by a man from Hanover.

     Next is the Shealer place. It was torn down and a brick house built there. Mr. Shealer was a shoemaker and his daughter, Lily, kept house for him.

     Next is the alley and then the John D. Becker Hotel. The Beckers' sold the hotel to John Lerew who later sold it to Clint Lerew. Later Clint Lerew sold it to Norman Criswell for use as a bake shop. Now it is an apartment house. Mr. Clint Lerew went up the street and bought the Jane Reed Hotel.

     Next is Fred Heighs store. It was sold to many different people; Emery Stock, Charles Gardner etc. Now it is put into a dwelling. The merchants' families always lived in the house next to the store. Now I shall go across the street and come up town;

     The first house was a weather boarded "L" shaped building. I think my Father told me it was the Latchaw house, but the first person I knew who lived there was Isaac Trosti4cand family. He drove the stage to Idaville. Idaville was the nearest place to take a train. Different people lived there and then one night it durned down. Mr. William Pearson bought it and built a brick house which is still standing and is occupied by his twin daughters.

     Next is the alley followed by the Snowden place. They kept a little store and restaurant until they died; after that it was rented to a number of families finally being sold to Mr. Epharim Clapper, who lived there on one side of the house while his daughter, Mrs. Potts, and family lived on the other side.

     Next is the Jonathan Myers place. It was a double house. They lived one one side and the other side was rented. After Mr. Myers died, the place was sold to Mr. Bilbert Fair. He had a tin shop on the one side and lived on the other. Now Mr. Fair's sons own it and his son, Harold lives there.

     Next is the Conrad Myers home. He was a miller and ran Deardorf's mill. His great granddaughter, Margaret Culp Taylor, lives there now.

     The next is the Mock place. The brothers ran an undertaking home and one of them lived there. They moved to Harrisburg and the property was sold to Dr. Cashman who had his office-drugstore and lived therec. After Dr. Cashmen died his widow sold it to Albert M Myers, who ran a store there. It is now owned by Thelma Ruppert, who also ran a store for a time. There was a white house next to the above property that a Mrs. Carl lived in. After she went to Harrisburg, Dr. Cashman bought it, tore it down and had a lawn there.

     The next place was the Medcalf home. I do not know how many of them there were in the family. I only know when they left town, they would still come back to see my parents especially their daughter, Mrs. Peters, who always stayed for supper. She was such a talker no one had to say anything. She was a very nice person and married to a preacher. They lived in Bendersville. Tjey and my Father had been boys and girls toghether. The place was sold to Jane Reed who lived with her granddaughter and her husband, George Day. George Day ran a restaurant there. Mae Gochenour now owns it and lives there.

     The next is the Dill place. Dr. Dill was a physician and our family doctor. They had eight children. Their daughter, Hope, and I were schoolmates. I used to go down there. Mrs. Dill was not much of a housekeeper. I do not believe she washed her frying pan very often as it was always sitting on the back of the stove. They ate a lot of mush. They had two big apple trees in their backyard and I would always get some of the fruit. The place does not look the same since Charlie Boyer lives there as they keep it so nice.

     The next is a little house that was a drugstore - a Harry Butteroff ran it. After he left Vinnie Trostle Smith had her millinery store there. Some people lived there after that. Now it is a barber shop. I do not know who runs it.

     Then comes the brick house - the first family that lived there that I remember was the Bower family then Mr. Isaac Trostle. Later it was made into apartments, by the owner Paul Lehman and then sold. Next is the alley then the Jane Reed Hotel. She ran the hotel until she lost her eye sight and could not see to do so-then selling it to Clint Lerew. When he retired, he sold it to Bill Jacobs and now the Bulden restaurant is there with apartments above it. It is owned by Paul Lehman.

     The next is the Hartman home and store. They had a "poll" parrot who sat in his cage out in the front of the house. People would pass and talk with the bird who spoke different languages and could swear like a "trooper". Mrs Hartman was such a silly woman. She always dressed in her silk dresses and jewelry. Mr. Gil and Mr. George Emmert bought the place from the Hartman's and Mr. George Emmert ran a store for many years. Later Mr. M. S. Hershey bought the property and ran a five and ten cent store. Jack, his son, and his wife run and own the store today.

     Now we shall go back Harrisburg Street.

     First was an old barn followed by the Lischey place. There were four girls and a boy. Some of the girls taught school. The son went south and married. In later years he came back here to live. Miss Mattie Lischey was my teacher and always made a lot of me. They would take me along when they went some place. Mrs. Lischey would come to see my Mother. Later the home was sold to Mr. Ed Lerew and his wife who lived there with their tow grandchildren-Donald and Esther Lerew. On their death, it was sold to Spencer Snyder and his wife, Zoe Neely Snyder. Mrs. Snyder still lives there.

     In recent years, there was a mill and a house built between the Snyder property and the alley owned by Paul Lehman.

     The next is the Arnold Gardner home. They had no children. Mrs. Gardner would give me flowers to plant. Mrs. Gardner had her parlor on one side of the house and Mr. Gardner had his on the other side of the house. He would have Prof. Tillman and his music class come there and sing. Miss Lizzie Day lived with them and she and Mrs. Gardner would come up town to look at the garden and have a chat with my Mother. They had lions, deer and dogs standing around in their yard. They were made of some kind of metal and people would walk back there to see them. The rest of the houses are all new om both sides of the street until the Margaret Day home.

     Mrs. Day was a widow with grown children. Mrs. Kemper now owns and lives there.

     The next is the McGlaughlin home. I know they had one small boy. He ran a spote and handle factory-later it was known as the Straley home. Ester Lerew lives there now.

     The next house was known as the Geo. Emmert place. I do not know who lived there before he did, but he sold it to Mr. Gates Linah and family. Later it was owned by the Kennedy's and Mrs. Frances Gable lived there.

     The next place was a Spoke and Handle factory mentioned above. Later it was turned into a dwelling and Mr. John Naugle bought it and lived there, renting the one end of the house. Mrs. Hoff lived there now.

     The next was Mr. Gil Wolfe's stone cutting place which was torn down. The Fire Hall and a Dress Factory are there now.

     The next on the corner of Harrisburg and Main streets is the Town Hall owned by the First National Bank of York Springs. They use some of the rooms. A Lodge meets on the third floor while the second floor is used for various things such as shows that come to town, suppers and school plays.

     Now on Main Street on the upper side of the bank is the John Peters home. They lived there and had a tin store making all kinds of things, as well as mending tinware for people. Later Mr. Peters went West, but his wife stayed on and rented the store for a saddler shop owned by Harry Smith. Adam Miller worked for him. Now the shop has been taken away and just the houses remain.

     Next was a little white house where Mr. Abe Grove kept his sewing machines-later it was torn down and Mr. Geo. Griest built a new house there. His son, Harry, lives there at present.

     The next place was a locust grove with big deep holes around in it. It was said it was used to tan hides in. I was always afraid to go past it in the evening. Later Mr. Park Myers built a house on the one end and the Presbyterian Church was built on the other. Mrs. Parvin Bowers lives in the house now.

     Next to the Presbyterian Church was the Frank Miller Feed Store. He had lots of lady callers as he was not married. Now in its place is Mrs. Brinkerhoff's home.

     Mr. Caleb Sheets' blacksmith shop came next-now the Lutheran Church is located there as stated before, having built in the Rev. Foulk's pastorate.

     The next place was, I think, where the old Academy was located. It was torn down and Mr. Noah Hirsh built a brick house on the ground. Mr. Hirsh drove a hack to haul people to picnics, fairs etc. At times he drove the stage. He smoked an old corn cob pipe and the house always smelled so strong of smoke. He owned some hounds which he used for Fox Hunting. Mr. Kieffer (Lloyds' father) lived there after Mr. Hlrsh and Roger Guise and his Mother own it and live there now.

     Next is the Epsicopal Church and then an alley. Then comes the house Mr. Jake Kline and his wife Jane built, but he always lived w with his Father and helped him keep store. Then Mr. John Sadler and his wife lived there; then it was rented to several people until it was bought by Mr Earl Miller. He and his family lived there until recently when it was sold after the death of Mrs Miller. (to Mervin Day)

     The next is the John Peters house which they built, but never lived in. They sold it to John D. McCreary for his Aunt to live in. Her name was Mrs. Sue Gardner, who lived there a long time. My husband, George E. Deatrick bought it and that is where I lived for fifty-three years finally selling to the Methodist Church for a parsonage.

     Next is the Jake Kline home and store. Jake, the son, helped his Father in the store. Later Mr. Kent Gardner kept store there for a long time. Then the Gardners moved back to their farm. Mr. Ed. Bream and his family owned and lived there on the one side of the house and a Mrs. Wonner, a Methodist minister's widow lived on the other side of the house. Mr. Bream was a mail carrier and was later transferred to Gardner's Station and the place was sold to Mr. Ed. Wolfe and family. He raised his family there and then sold the place to Mr. William Weidner. He and his wife are living there today.

     Then comes the Howard Myers home. They had no children, but took their nephew to raise. Mr. Myers worked in Mr. Geo. Emmert's store. Mrs. Myers was such a sweet old lady whom everybody loved, but she ended her days in the County Home. Then Mrs. John King's parents lived there whose name was Jacobs, after which it was rented to several families "until It was bought by Mr. Clate Myers. He and Mrs. Myers lived there the remainder of their lives. Then their daughter, Mrs. Josie Myers Harlacher lived there and she sold it to Gary Shank, the present occupant.

     The next place is one of the Gardner's homes. I do not know which one; only Miss Mae Gardner told me it was her Father's home. Mr. Abe Grove bought it and lived there a long time. After he died his son, Will grove lived there until he moved to Chambersburg, then Will's son, Russel , lived there for a short while after which it was rented to several people, until it was sold to Romayne Pittenturf for a funeral home. The Pittenturf's live in part of the house.

     Next is the alley; then comes the Stevens home. They had several girls and a boy. My Father told me he and they played together when they were young. After they grew up the son, John, moved to Carlisle and ran a carpet factory. I remember when I was a child he used to visit at our house. I remember him telling my Mother she had her carpet wrong. She did not think it was very nice of him to do so. Then the Stevens sold the place to Rev. Leonard Gardner. He lived there part of the time when he was preaching.

     Rev. Gardner lost his eyesight, but he could preach any way. He would get up in the pulpit and tell his text and then he would start so that one thought he would never stop. I know one Sunday some folks from Gettysburg heard he was going to preach and a lot of them came down to hear him and he had to be told what time it was as everyone was getting hungry as he had talked for several hours. His favorite hymns were; "Beluah Land" and "In the Sweet By and By". He had a horse called "Bill" and he would hitch him in a dump cart. He and Mrs. Gardner would ride around the fields. He got his farming done. They had a colored cook. They made a lake down below the buildings and in the winter time it would freeze over. Many of the younger people, as well as a few older ones, would then go skating. Rev. Gardner would always skate with the young folks and would play "Crack the Whip"-he being the leader would take the group around very fast. I had many good times there. His daughter-in law, Jennie Plank Gardner, was such a good skater. She and I used to go to the lake together. Rev. Gardner had a chair with runners on in which Mrs. Gardner would ride around the lake Rev. Gardner pushing the chair. After he died his son, Bud, lived until he and his wife died and now their niece, Jennie Plank, lives there.

     Then comes a new house Joe Kennedy built and lives in. (This is an error Mrs. Chas. Spangler built the house and Clyde Kennedy (Joe) bought it after her death.) Then an alley followed by the Sam Beitman home. The back part was log and he built the front part of the house. He had a large family and did a little bit of every thing to earn a living-such as selling fruit trees, bushes etc. I know my Father bought berry bushes from him. His daughter, Faith and Hortense went to school with me. After they moved to Delta, the place was sold to Weems Neely and the family lived there many years-later the son-in- law, Mr. Orphia Diller, bought it and lived there until he died. I do not know who owns it now.

     The next is a little white house where Mr. Caleb Sheets lived. As stated above, he was a blacksmith and had his shop next to the Lutheran Church. The house was rented to many people until Julia Livingston owned it and sold it to Orphia Diller who kept store there for a number of years. When Mr. Diller died the store was sold to Kenny Kemper who made it into a dwelling.

     The next place is the Eli Griest home. He and his Mother lived there. She kept store and sold bake things. My Father said when he was a boy Eli would go and take his Mother's ginger cakes and give them to the boys to eat. After he grew up, he married a Davis girl. She was a tall woman. I think I can still see her at the door when I went to school, I think they had four boys and twin girls which he thought so much of. I think there is one daughter still living. Eli and his brother-in-law had a brick yard over in the Van Scoyce Farm. They made the bricks of straw and red clay that was there and laid them in the sun to dry. I would go down in our meadow and I could look across and see the bricks laying in the sun to dry. Later they left town and went to the country. He would drive to Baltimore to get fresh fish and vegetables which he would peddle thru' the town. He went by the name of "Fresh Fish". He was a hard drinker, being drunk much of the time. The place was sold to Miss Winand and later to a Miss Shively who lived there until she died. Her niece owns it now and Mr. Harry Guise lives there.

     The next places are new houses until you come to the stone house. This house belonged to the Pearsons'. My Grandmother and her sister, Phoebie Pearson lived there. Phoebie had a select school in a small house below the stone house. Rev. Leonard Gardner always said he went to school there. The Pearson's owned all the adjoining land. I do not know how many acres it was, but after the Pearsons died, it was sold to Mr. Henry Stouffer for a home for his sister, Mrs. Philip Kuntz. The Kuntz's built a home on each side of the stone house for each of their children. Later the school purchased the upper one and tore it down to add more ground to the school. My Father owned the qrnil ground after his Mother died. There was an apple orchard on this and having different apples from what are being sold today, and so many of them. There was a peach orchard on the hill. After my Father died, my Mother came to live with me and it was sold to the school board to build the present school buildings.

     The next is the place known in former days as the "BrickRow". It was a long brick building with a wagon maker shop at one end and Ben Gardner lived in the other end. I can still see a tall woman walking down town who was called "Big Liz Gardner". She was a very homely woman and always causeing trouble among people. The wagon factory burned down one night and was not replaced. An old man by the name of Ed Everhart lived there a long time. He was a little man with a black beard and gathered old iron, rags, and bones. My Brother and I, as well as all the other children, would save all the bones and iron we could and sell them to him for a few pennies. Every one called him "Dutch Head" as he was so dutch.

     Then there was a family by the name of Larue lived there. Later Johnny Harmon lived there until he died. His widow married a Mr. Yates. She would get so happy when the Methodist's had a Revival-clapping her hands and making a big fuss enough to scare anyone. She once said:"No sermon did her any good except a Methodist one". Her first husband was nicknamed "Snuffy"Harmon as he was always snuffing his nose.

     The next place was Mr. Moorhead's blacksmith shop and now Claire Kennedy owns it and lives there.

     The next place is the "HILL Kennedy" home where "Hill's" widow lives. The Harriet Griest home is next-Alice Griest Koons' great-grand mother. It was built on the corner of the farm. There were a number of people lived in the house after she died; then Mr. George Lerew bought it and lived there. Later his daughter lived there and then it was sold to Chester Hellman the resent owner and occupant.

     The next places are new. Then the house on the corner of Main Street and Cemetery Road was built by Mr. Charlie Griest for his daughter, Phoebie, who married Harry Plank. The couple later built themselves a home down at the lower end of town and moved there. The house was rented to many different people until Jeanette (Janet) Bittinger Lory bought it and the family are living there at present. There was a toll gate at the upper end of the town, but I just do not know where it was.

     Now comes the road to the Cemetery. On the other side of it was Spangler's blacksmith shop. The Spangler's lived in the house next to the shop. There two girls and boy whose name was Charlie, but went by the name of "Seven Pieces or None" as that was how many pieces of chicken he could eat. He was not too smart. They were all grown up when I knew them; the one girl being married all ready. After the Spanglers' died, Pete Myers moved there and ran the shop. Later he sold it to George Miller known familiarly as "Jockey". He ran a blacksmith shop there for many years and his family grew up in the community. His one son, Edward, lives in the home adjoin-ing the shop. Fred Stough bought the shop and runs a garage and filling station there.

     Well I guess this is the end of my story about (PETERSBURG) now YORK SPRINGS.